Thursday, October 6, 2011

Kusadasi, Turkey-Bazaar Delight!










Known as the gateway to visits to Turkey’s most prized, well-preserved ancient city of Ephesus, and a shopper’s delight, Kusadasi is one of Turkey’s most popular seaside resort cities. Since I had visited Ephesus. House of the Virgin Mary, and ruins of St John’s Basilica/Temple of Artemis, all just 10 months ago (see my blog post here http://tinyurl.com/5v7fky8), I chose to remain near the port visiting the town and Pigeon Island.

After disembarking, I headed for the ancient Kaleici neighborhood via the shop-lined “pedestrianized” main street. I found the vendors in the two large markets close to the ship to be so aggressive that it disturbed me. I felt like red meat for a pack of hungry wolves. The were the most aggressive vendors I have experienced in a while.

After spending some time in Kaleici, I decided to seek a peaceful contrast to the chaos of the markets. I took a leisurely stroll across a causeway to Pigeon Island, for which Kusadasi is named. As I strolled along the waterfront toward Pigeon Island, the sun began to melt away the tension and I enjoyed scenes of fishing boats, cafes, sailboats, and cats.

Located on the island is defensive castle, a monument that can easily be seen from our ship. The scenery on this peaceful, tiny island was stunning with views of the sea with its iridescent turquoise waters. I explored and took photos.

No comments: