Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Copenhagen-Baltic Capital Cruise Port #1





Copenhagen Baltic Capital Cruise Port #1

City of spires, canals, smiles, and bicycles

Today, was our first port visit on our Baltic Capitals cruise. I opted to tour the city via the convenient hop-on-hop-off (HOH)) tour buses. Fortunately, they made a special pick up for us at Friborg (port).

I visited The Rosenborg Palace, Tivoli, Town Hall, Nyhvn, Christiania (hippie compound since the early 70s), Amalienborg Palace (residence of royal family). Bicycles are the top mode of transport. Everyone rides them here and the city has free rental bikes stationed throughout the city.

I walked the entire Stroget, the pedestrian shopping street considered to be the longest pedestrian street in the world

It is TRUE: I WITNESSED it!-----Moms leave their babies in their strollers outside shops while they run errands. The Danes feel completely safe and secure with everyone.

Things I probably used to know about Denmark that I mostly forgot-(I was here in 1986!)

It is one of Northern Europe’s busiest harbors.

Greenland is owned by Denmark.

It is one of the most prosperous countries in Europe and its population of 5 million enjoy a high standard of living.

Denmark has the oldest monarchy in the world.

The Danes smuggled 7000 of its 7500 Jews out of Denmark into Sweden during WWII.

Sweden and Denmark were bitter enemies, at war, and stealing land back and forth for centuries.

Denmark was one of the founding EU member nations

The Little Mermaid, (for the first time in 97 years), is on loan to Shanghai for the 2010 World’s Fair. At the site where her statue normally rests, there is a webcam live-streaming her on location in China. (glad I saw her when I was here last) LOL!

Tivoli Gardens is what inspired Walt Disney in his designing of Disney World

Hans Christian had little formal education yet grew up to be one of the world’s greatest storytellers. He is beloved by children all over the world because their parents read his stories to them at bedtime. He wrote 150 fairy tales including The Ugly Duckling, Thumbelina, Little Mermaid, The Princess&Pea, and The Emperor Who Wore No Clothes. His works have been translated into more than 150 languages. In fact, HIS WORKS ARE THE MOST TRANSLATED AFTER THE BIBLE

Other observations/Comments

Their English language skill is impeccable

Denmark consistently ranks #1 as happiest nation in the world! This I knew and have blogged about several times.

I mailed a post card to me for my collection.

I am sending this via free WIFI at the port reception area. This way, I don’t have to use my ship minutes.

No comments: