Sunday, June 20, 2010

Russia visit dominates cruise thoughts


Egypt. She dominated my thoughts as I prepared for my six-country eastern Mediterranean cruise last December.

Russia. She now dominates my thoughts as I prepare for my seven-country Baltic capitals cruise, coming up in a week.

In preparation for my trip, I have immersed myself in the study of Russian culture, history, way of life, traditions, customs, tourist attractions, current events, government, and currency. I even watched Dr. Zhivago and we'll watch three more Russian films next week. During my reading, I came across this interesting summary of cross-cultural perspectives on Russia:

Writing a book that includes everything about contact with Russians would be extremely difficult. Russia, like any other country, has many different facets.

Americans like the scale of things in Russia and the Russian soul, but are irritated by the lack of service.

The English are drawn to Russian culture, but the inability to stand in a queue makes them indignant.

The Germans like Russian hospitality, but do not welcome the dirty streets and public places.

Italians like Russian friendship, but are not comfortable with the familiarity.

The Chinese like the Russian countryside, but cannot understand why things are done so slowly.

I look forward to my journey.

No comments: